Monday, November 28, 2011

Dance to the beat of your own drum

I was reminded why I don't watch Icelandic TV a moment ago. I live in such a small country with such small people. Sometimes I forget about that when I am in my room and all I have are my 8 walls (yeah, I have 8 walls in my room, two windows on one wall and three doors on three walls... makes you wonder what my room looks like doesn't it) or when I take the bus and I convince myself that there is a big ol world out there full of people. But Iceland is not full of people and Icelandic TV/TV shows make that so uncomfortably obvious.
I love watching So You Think You Can Dance. It's one of my favorite shows to watch! I love dancing, even though I suck at it, and I love watching people who are good at it dance. So watching SYTYCD is a joy. Now we have this new show on TV here in Iceland called Dance Dance Dance. Its a SYTYCD knock off and a total disaster. First off, the name is just so... blah... boring. It reeks of pretense and wannabe big city-ness. The dancers are actually very good. But then there are the judges. Two women... I have no idea who they are. They may be famous in Iceland, but thats like being an ant trying to get some attention at the zoo! and then the third judge is this guy who used to be on the Saturday morning children's program when I was little. He is the Simon figure I guess... such a fail! The worst part though is the number of people in the audience. You can actually hear echoes when they cheer. The whole thing makes me wanna puke!
Don't get me wrong though. I love Iceland, the country and the people. But we are small and I think we should own up to it and stop pretending to be a smaller, more elite version of NYC and LA. The Vikings were our ancestors for crying out loud! and now here we are, trying to be big and cool like America. We can never be America, and we shouldn't want to be America. We are Iceland. We don't need any help being cool.

2 comments:

LMT said...

No, you don't need any help being cool! I love Iceland!

Unifer said...

and Iceland loves you Linder!! ohh so much!! :)