Monday, May 6, 2013

DIY Lamp Edition

J and I have recently discovered that we love working on projects for our home together. We also love to save money. I mean, let's be honest, who doesn't. So we tend to shop a bit at the Good Shepard, a second hand grocery store.... I mean, a second hand furniture store. This is what happens when you try to blog and watch Supernatural at the same time. 
Anyways, we got this butt ugly, but strangely cool at the same time, looking red ceramic lamp. I have been looking out for an old lamp with potential for a few weeks now and they never had one I thought i could work with and would turn out the way I imagined, until last week. J didn't really see it at the time I think, but he trusts me. So we took it home, I painted it first with a layer of light grey acrylic paint, then with a couple of layers of white acrylic paint to cover the red completely and to get some depth using the gray as foundation in all the cracks. 
It was apparently way old, and not even from iceland. I am guessing it was born on the old Nato base because it had an Amercano plug. So J took care of that. He took the whole thing apart, got a new cord and other stuff that is essential for making a lamp work and put it back together. Don't ask me what all he needed to do to make it work, I am just in charge of making it look pretty while he takes care of all the masculine stuff.
Finally, we went to Ikea, which is just down the street, and found a lovely affordable lamp shade. And now we have a lamp we fixed up together. 
Once we finished the lamp and rearranged a few things in our living room I felt like it was time to get the painting above our sofa sorted. I had this huge canvas with a butt ugly painting from years ago, which I gave to my nephew because he liked it at the time and J then said he liked. But I didn't like it, so I decided to paint something over it. I love how you can re-use canvases over and over and over again! So next time I am going to share what I did with the canvas and how it ended up. 

No comments: